Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Next Twelve Months

Life is going to drastically change for my fiance Jill and I in the next year. I now have a partner not only in life, but in my pursuit of my ideal lifestyle. I passed along my Four Hour Work Week book to Jill, and now she is on the lifestyle design bandwagon.
We are now both pursuing building automated online business, and killing our jobs. We want to define ourselves by the things that we have accomplished, and not by what we do between the hours of 9am and 6pm. We have always talked about how we dreamed of traveling to France, Italy, England, Buenos Aires, Barcelona, so we said "Why not now?", and we are now working on making that dream a reality.

In April, we will have our wedding in Los Cabos, Mexico as planned, and start working towards moving overseas for our first mini-retirement after that. Over the next year, we will be paring down the stuff we own, and at least purging all of the junk that we never use and will never need. Everything else will eventually go into storage.
We own our condo, and we should be able to rent it out to cover the balance of our monthly mortgage payment while we are away. We would like to spend a minimum of 3 months in each country, starting with France. Our goal is to build at least two online businesses using the techniques in the Four Hour Work Week, and generate $5000/month to finance our living abroad. Some of the places we plan on living, such as Bueno Aires, would require much less than that income to live on.

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I have already started getting some practice at testing online businesses, and now I just have to find the right product or service to offer. I have all of the architecture in place to start an online business, I just need to figure out what it is I want to sell, or more specifically, who I want to market to.
We are preparing for the backlash from family and friends (although my dad thinks this is great) who won't understand us turning our nice stable life on it's head, but, really, it doesn't matter. We are both tired of just working to sustain a life we don't really want, and are now working to design the life that we can look back on with no regrets.

Coffee in a cafe in Paris, riding a motorcycle in the countryside of Italy, take in the view from the top of the Burj Dubai, surf in Hawaii, ride my bicycle down the Champs De Elysee, and the list goes on and on.
It's not just about travel either, it's about freeing up the time to learn and be the things we've always wanted. I've always wanted to learn Italian and French, write a book and work more on fashion design. Jill wants learn screenwriting and web design, and we would both like to have the time to spend with kids when we eventually have them. Building businesses with architecture for automation now can give us these things in the future. We both have the intelligence and the resources to make this happen, so here we go....

No comments:

Post a Comment