Friday, December 4, 2009

Big Money, Small Cars and Glee

I haven't written in a few weeks as I have been quite consumed by my new job selling cars for Smart/Mercedes-Benz, and getting settled in to my new condo with my fiance, Jill. But, a lot has happened in the last few weeks, so lets get on with it.

So, obviously, I'm working on my professional selling skills, because in three months, I will be off of my introductory salary at Three Point Motors (the Smart/Mercedes dealership I work at) and working completely on commission. So it's make or break for me in the next couple of months. I generally want to be as good as I can be at anything I try, so I am spending most of my free time reading books on professional car sales techniques, and watching DVD sales training seminars (wildly exciting, I know). Though the training material may be a bit dry, I do find closing sales exciting, and knowing that I am the direct determiner of my success.

As for Hold Fast Army, my clothing company, one of my partners has started working with a web designer to develop our web site. That should be up and going soon.

So, on to the topic I wanted to talk about today. I am fortunate to have a friend that is becoming a professional actor. I met him about 2 years into his quest to become a success, and that was almost three years ago. I have watched him go through the motions of developing his craft, finding mentors, auditioning, doing some less than glamourous roles, auditioning some more, and now, in his fifth year, landing the leading role on a mainstream sit-com, Glee, which airs on FOX. He's made it. I think we always knew he would, and watching him on TV tonight gives me a lot of hope that huge success can really truly happen to anyone, because it happened to someone I know, and I'm not that different from.

What I'm talking about has two points. One - doing something you love, and two - finding a way to do what you love, and get paid really, really (really) well for it. I know that there are a lot of authors and bloggers out there that preach methods for attaining success in business and life, and I think there are a lot of good ideas out there, like determination, focus, and never giving up. What I really want to figure out at this point in my life, is what do I really, really want to do? And how can I get paid a sweet-mother-load to do it?

I think my next posts over the next couple of weeks will focus on trying to answer that question, and maybe it will get you thinking about it too.

If you knew, that beyond the shadow of a doubt, with enough hard work and persistence, you could achieve anything (which I really think you can)... what would you do?

I turn 26 at the end of this week.

And I really want to answer that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment