Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Testing out Google Adwords


So, I have had an idea for an online business. I've looked at the model that Abe Books uses, which is acting as a hub for sellers of books to connect with buyers. I have a passion for design, and I love good designer jeans, a denimphile if you will. So, my plan is to build a site where denim retailers can list their products, a variety of new, used, rare and vintage jeans. I know there are thousands of people out there like me that search for good premium denim jeans, so I am running a test version of the website right now.
I built a three page placeholder website with Weebly.com and started a Google Adwords campaign that will run for a week to see what kind of click through rate I get to the website. If the numbers look good, then this idea might be worth pursuing further. My test site can be seen here. If I don't get any click through from this adwords campaign, I am going to see if I can refine my keyword terms, and try to get a better response. I'll let you all know how this goes at the end of the week.

I think this online business could be successful for a number of reasons. First, I've focused on an area I have knowledge of and a passion for, fashion design and denim. Also, I'm basing my business model on one I've seen succeed before, and with proper testing and marketing, could work again. Finally, there is only the original start up costs to deal with, as I won't be carrying any inventory.

We'll see how this all goes.

-Will

No comments:

Post a Comment