Friday, December 4, 2009

My New Project, and another Fashion Show

I have decided to finally start pursuing an educational goal of mine that I have had for a while. I have always wanted to learn how to design and build web sites. I have so many small business ideas that I would love to test out on the web, and I feel it is about time that I learn how to create a site on my own. I figured the simplest way to begin would be to start where I normally do, with a "For Dummies" book. Laugh if you will, but in my experience, I have found good reason for these books popularity. I purchased a copy of "Web Design For Dummies" and am working my way through the book. After that I will look for some online tutorials for Photoshop and HTML coding, and go from there. I know there is an HTML for Dummies book out there, so I'll probably read that too. I would like to be able to take a night class in web design, but right now I just don't have the time for it, so the self teaching method will have to do. I'll update soon with my progress.

On another note, I was in Freedom today, and they were interested in when I was going to organise another fashion show, so that they could get the store some exposure. Now, the first time I put on a fashion show, it took over my life, and became a beast of a job, so putting on another show was not really in the game plan right now. Fortunately, a friend of mine is currently organizing her own show benefiting the BC Cancer Agency, so I got in contact with her, and was able to get Freedom into her show. This worked out great because I don't have to put on a fashion show again, and since my clothes are being sold at Freedom, they will be included in their set in the show, which is some great free promotion for my clothing line, and is some good exposure for the store.

Finally, I wanted to plug another great blog that's just started up, Reinvention301 which covers anything and everything to do with human resources. Look for interviewing tips, hiring info, and anything else you can think of to do with the human side of business. It's written by Bill Fosdick, who has over 25 years experience in his field, and is a wealth of ideas, insights and business wisdom.

That's all for tonight, I'll will have some updates soon with my web design self-teaching and a couple of new business projects that will be starting soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment